iOS 12 is finally here, for those who don’t know iOS is the operating system (OS) that iPhones, iPads run on. And iOS 12 is the latest version of the OS and is available to be downloaded assuming you have one of the recent Apple device. You can check if your device is supported by heading over to the Settings app -> General -> Software Update, if your device does support this new update, you would find a prompt to update.
This update was initially introduced at WWDC 2018 (which was held earlier this year) and this version of iOS is more focused on improving performance. Which means the company is working on making iOS 12 feel faster on all devices that support this update.
Apple has introduced some new features, features such as :
- Screen Time – This is a feature that helps users to manage the time that they and their kids spend on their phones/devices. It will also track for how long you’re using the iPhone or iPad.
- Improved Notifications – Now you can manage your notifications in real time from the lock screen, send notifications of a specific app to the notification center and you can get Siri’s help on how to manage some notifications.
- Improved Do Not Disturb – iOS 12 now let’s users turn on Do Not Disturb and let them not worry about turning them off, because now you can set Do Not Disturb just for a meeting or while you’re at a location, and it will automatically turn off as soon as your meeting ends or once you leave that place.
- Photo Search and Photo Sharing
- Siri Shortcuts – The company says that Siri can intelligently pair your daily routines with third-party apps to suggest shortcuts when you need them.
- Privacy – This is a feature where iOS will block websites that track you without your permission, so it will block them (the tracking in this instance) initially and then it will prompt a message asking you if you’re fine with it.
- Memoji – This feature is where you can create your own Animoji (which the company launched last year with iPhone X).
- Facetime with up to 32 people at the same time – this feature (unfortunately) will not be available till this fall.
Other than the above mentioned new features, apps like iBooks, Stocks, Voice Memos, and Apple News are also getting redesigns.
Here are the list of devices that will support iOS 12
- iPhone X,
- iPhone 8 and 8 Plus
- iPhone 7 and 7 Plus
- iPhone 6S and 6S Plus
- iPhone SE
- iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- iPhone 5S
- iPad Pro (9.7-inch, 10.5-inch, and both generations of 12.9-inch)
- iPad (2018)
- iPad (5th generation)
- iPad Air and iPad Air 2
- iPad mini 2, 3, and 4
- iPod Touch (6th generation)